Friday, October 28, 2011

The Day Our House Should Have Burnt Down

I wasn't feeling great this morning so after making sure everyone was up and moving for violin lessons, 
I crawled back into bed.

I remember hearing a softly spoken yet panicked, 
"Oh no," just before the I heard the fire alarm.

I wasn't worried at all.

No one was yelling and I assumed someone wasn't diligently guarding their cooking
and things got a little smokey.

Our smoke detector is very sensitive and it doesn't take much to set it off.

But as I looked out of my bedroom door, I could see smoke.

The smell of it was suddenly much stronger than I would imagine.

As I got out of bed and headed downstairs,
I passed the large vent in the hallway and smoke was billowing out pretty furiously.

I thought, "Oh dear.  This isn't good.  Is our house on fire? Is anyone hurt?"

I walked into our smoke filled kitchen and nothing was on fire.

Doors and windows were open and a still smoking pan was on the counter.

I contemplated running it under cold water, but it still looked too hot and combustible.

I grabbed the giant bag of baking soda and smothered it.

Realizing things were under control, I told my child it was a good thing she didn't pour water on it.

Everyone knows you don't put water on a grease fire.

And that's when I heard her say, 

"But I did."

What??!!

Apparently, the flames were 2 feet tall, the front of our microwave was black, the cabinets above the microwave were black, and there was soot on the wall and ceiling.

She said, "I couldn't figure out how to use the fire extinguisher 
(that we keep in the kitchen) and I didn't know what to do,
so I grabbed the pitcher (a Britta pitcher) and poured water on it."

Me: "Are you hurt?!"

Child: "No."

Me: "Do you understand how the Lord covered you today?
You should be burnt on your face and hands.
You should be in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
Our house should be in flames right now."

She didn't really get it.

***

We started cleaning and amazingly, nothing was damaged except the pan.

We were able to clean all the soot.

The microwave and cabinets weren't even warped from the heat.

All the soot simply wiped off.

Except for the smoke and the shrill fire alarm still piercing the air, you would never have known what happened.

We sat down together and prayed-- prayers of thankfulness that no one was hurt.
Thankfulness that we still had a house.

But as we prayed, I remembered all those verses we studied last year from the Book of James.

Verses about the tongue being a fire and setting things aflame.

Another child said: The soot reminds me of what happens when we sin.
Even though the fire is put out, it leaves behind a mark.

We talked about how the smoke from a little pan in the kitchen affected the entire house.

We talked about how our fiery words, even small ones, can affect our entire house.

***

I don't know that we'll ever know on this side of Heaven why we experienced what we did today
or why the Lord chose to be so merciful to us.  

But, I do know that I don't want to forget the lessons of today.

This isn't the first (and I'm guessing not the last) miracle we've experienced.

I am very much aware how God's thoughts and ways are higher than mine.

A family at church lost their home in a fire this summer in the midst of doing a good thing.
They were hosting children from a local ranch that ministers to the fatherless for a 4th of July BBQ.

We were completely and totally spared while being careless and negligent.

***

No neat and tidy answers.
Just gratefulness.

I found this on Youtube... 
a visual reminder of what could have been...




6 comments:

Lisa said...

Praise God no one was hurt! There was definitely a hedge of protection over your house & family today. I like the parable of the black smoke. God has already spoken through this.

Pauline said...

So glad no one was hurt. God is good :)

Lainie said...

Thank you Lisa and Pauline. We are so grateful.

Corey P. said...

As I already said on your daughter's blog... praise be to God. :)

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Oh my word. Praise the Lord for His protection!!!

Just showed this video to Austin. Oi. What a visual lesson!

Christine said...

What a hard lesson to learn, but PRAISE GOD nobody was hurt. Emily, oddly enough, learned about what NOT to do with grease fires during a Sunday School lesson. Not exactly sure how the topic came up, but she knows NOT to put water on one.

Looking for something??